Poppy became a tenant at Chambers in April 2020, following her successful pupillage under the supervision of Mr Paul Gillott.
A graduate of Durham University and winner of the Lady Hale Prize for Best Dissertation in Law and Gender 2017, Poppy’s commitment to family law is also reflected in her voluntary work with charities across northern England and her employment with the Pro Bono Clinic at UCLAN, Preston, prior to commencing pupillage.
Poppy has developed a busy family law practise in private law and public law at all stages of proceedings, including finding of fact hearings. She is regularly instructed to provide written work, such as thresholds, schedules and skeleton arguments.
In public law cases, Poppy represents local authorities, parents, and children in cases involving neglect, non-accidental injuries, physical abuse, sexual risk and emotional harm. She also has experience of proceedings under the Adoption and Children Act 2022, such as revocation of placement orders.
Poppy accepts instructions in private law proceedings and regularly advises on child arrangement orders, specific issue orders, prohibited steps orders, non-molestation orders, occupation orders and enforcement orders. She represents parents, grandparents, special guardians and the child.
Poppy conducts cases involving issues such as:
- Substance misuse;
- Domestic abuse,
- Sexual abuse,
- Controlling/coercive behaviour,
- Non-accidental injuries to children,
- Parental responsibility
- Intractable contact disputes,
- Internal and external relocation cases.
Poppy has experience of representing the official solicitor, vulnerable clients and clients who require the assistance of an intermediary.
Poppy accepts instructions for financial remedy proceedings.
As a former member of the National Youth Theatre, Poppy continues to have an interest in the Arts.
- LLM (Legal Practice Barristers) Distinction (BPP Manchester)
- LLB (Hons) (Law) (Durham University) High 2:1
Prizes and awards
- Inner Temple Pupillage Award (2018)
- Lady Hale Prize for the Best Dissertation in Law and Gender 2017 (Prenuptial Agreements)
- Inner Temple Exhibition Award (2017)
- BPP Advocacy Scholarship (2017)
- BPP Regional Scholarship (2017)
Areas of Expertise
- Family Law
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Northern Circuit